Friday, July 08, 2016

Korach: Gd's protection

This insurrection of  Korach and his minions:  I see it in the light of the politics of the day.  The problem with populism, the people may like evil leaders, manipulative leaders,  incompetent leaders. The people, the majority, can be guided to accept, like, vote-for absurdities.   Stalin, Mussolini,H.. all popular leaders.  Boris Johnson: the Brexit winner.  Trump: even the absurd can automatically gather 45% of the vote. 

Korach is about the people that Gd loves, those who are called to Gd's special service/  A reward of aristocracy to the courageous.

When I was in Poland, a few weeks ago, I was aristocracy.  I was the son of survivors.  My father was one of the 50 to survive Treblinka ( odds: 1 in 17,5000;  0.000057 ). Does  this not constitute the favored of Gd?  My mother hid in a hole for 2 years and survived to be liberated, while her entire family was murdered. Is that not Divine protection? The Stys famuly, the family that helped my parents, is aristocracy.  I felt the translator's humiliation as I spoke, through that Pole, to these heroes. 

The haftorah presents Samuel. Shmuel is the son of Chana, whose prayers are mistaken for intoxication.  Chana is blessed by Eli, the high priest, in apology for his mistake.  Gd grants Shmuel the gift and burden of prophecy, he is preferred over Eli, the high priest But the people do not want the prophet to be king. and this time, the popular will prevails.  Samuel is a descendant of Korach. ,  

Gd uniquely favors every living person. 

May Gd protect us from the popular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home